Sunday, 30 June 2013

Cream cheese brownies with berry jam as a petit four

There is something about the cream cheese brownie that makes me hooked to it. Not only the dark chocolate, maybe the texture. It's a sort of muddy creamy texture that makes one feels good.


If you love cream cheese brownies as much as I do, how about serving them as "petits fours"?


This is what I have done, I just added my home made berry jam (raspberries, strawberries and blakcurrants) into the cream cheese and I swirled it. I topped it with homemade cherry preserves (these were supposed to end up in a German Donawelle recipe but got preserved instead)..

The cream cheese brownie can be frozen and thawed when needed. It came in handy to complete the petits fours tray I made for my friend's birthday..

Cream cheese brownie petits fours in the middle between financiers and choco ganache and salted caramel tartlets
So let's get started

Ingredients
Adapted from Joyofbaking.com
Makes 16 small squares or 20 mini petits fours
Pre: 10 min- baking: 30 min- freezing/cooling: overnight



Brownie Layer

  • 115 g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 110 g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 230 g granulated white sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 65 grams all purpose flour
  • A good pinch of salt

Cream Cheese Layer

  • 225 g full fat cream cheese, at room temperature (important
  • 50 g caster sugar
  • ½ tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten

Optional addition

  • Berry jam (made with 600g of berries and 200g of sugar, so it’s not too sweet)
  • Preserved cherries



Preparation


Brownies base

Preheat oven to 160 degrees C fan assisted oven or 180 degrees otherwise. Grease and cover a square baking pan (23 cm), I used a pyrex dish for that.

Melt butter and chocolate over a bain-marie (some do it in a microwave). Remove from heat, set aside.

Add in vanilla, salt, sugar and stir.

Add in the eggs while beating. I usually beat them lightly in a separate bowl and pour  them slowly. Beat all well to combine, just about 1 min.

Stir in the sifted flour until the batter is smooth and glossy, which should be for about a minute. 

Save the 1/3 of the mixture to use it for marbling later. Spread the rest evenly onto the bottom of the tin. 


Cream Cheese topping

In another bowl, make the cream cheese: beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sugar, vanilla, and egg and beat until creamy and smooth then stop because you don't want too much air in this. 
Assembly and baking

Spread the cream cheese filling evenly over the brownie layer.


Spoon the rest of the brownie mix in form of dollops of the top of the cream cheese (3 or 4 each line for 3 or 4 rows).


I also added the thick berry jam (I made 6 dollops of that)
Run a knife or wooden skewer back and forth through the two batters until you have a marble effect. 




Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the brownies are set and the cream cheese is just beginning to brown. You can check by pricking the brownie part with a toothpick which should come out slightly clean with a bit of crumbs. 

Set aside to cool. Cover and refrigerate the brownies until they are firm enough to cut into squares (several hours or even overnight). 

Once chilled, remove the brownies from the pan ans start cutting or shaping the way you fancy. You need a damp cloth to clean the knife everytime you use it to keep the cuts clean. I had to do the same with the cookie cutter to make the petits fours.

If you are making petits fours brownies like I did, you might need to push them with your thumb from the bottom so the cut comes out clean. ideally, this step needs to be done once the brownie is still cold.

Serve cold or at room temperature, topped with a cherry preserve at the last minute (optional).












2 comments:

  1. Omg, Nada dont kill me with ur incredible bakes, seriously irresistible!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear..I think I had half of it. I suppose I should feel ashamed lol.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...