Monday, 4 February 2013

Soft savoury muffins with sundried tomatoes, olives and thyme



Hello and happy February everyone!

Theoretically, It’s just 1 more month to go before I meet baby..So I’m getting heavier and lazier. But there is something nice that comes with this: I get to feel baby moving inside and doing his things (I keep wondering what that could be). It’s just indescribable.


Last month, I have tested my first recipe in “Petit Larousse des apéritifsdînatoires” ordered via Amazon. It’s a sort of savoury muffin/friand recipe (depending how you want to shape it). Of course I changed a few things but that’s because I didn’t have the meaty ingredient.

It’s a straight forward recipe, tasty with a soft bite. My friends enjoyed it.. I hope you do.




Today I’ll be sharing with you this vegetarian version of Mini cakes with turkey, sundried tomatoes and basil which has become Mini cakes with olives, sundried tomatoes and thyme where olives replaced turkey, thyme replaced basil. So I’ll give you my adaptation as well as the original recipe.

Ingredients

Makes 8 standard muffins or cannelés

Prep: 5 min- Baking: about 20 min.

  • 3 tbsp of sundried tomatoes, chopped
  • A small handful of basil leaves, chopped which I replaced with 2 tbsp of fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 eggs
  • 10 cl of buttermilk (or liquid natural yogurt)
  • 4 tbsp of good extra virgin olive oil
  • 120g of wheat or all purpose flour
  • 3 tsp of baking powder (I used 2 only)
  • 1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper (my addition)
  • 1 good pinch of chilli powder (my addition)
  • 2 heaped tbps of grated cheddar (my addition)
  • A pinch of salt
  • 80g of smoked turkey (finely diced) which I replaced with 3 tbps of pitted black olives, chopped




Preparation

Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C and have the silicone moulds or cases ready and lined up.

Beat the eggs with a whisk. Add milk, olive oil and continue beating. Add the flour and baking powder and mix with a spatula or beat at a lower speed (I just used the spatula at this stage).

Add the rest of the ingredients and combine.

Fill the cases or silicone moulds at 2/3 and bake for 20-25 min until cooked through and golden from the top.

Serve warm or at room temperature, optionally with a cream cheese spread.




Notes: 

1- You could add seeds on the top before baking.

2- I've put 2 mini-cakes in the fridge for the next day, warmed them slightly. It was even better!

3- Cakes in French refer to Loaves or muffin-like texture bakes. Unlike the English/American culture where a cake refers to a soft of gateau layed/frosted with cream. I know some of you might be lost in translation. It took me a long time to get used to it to.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...