Friday, 11 January 2013

Savoury shorbreads with cheese and poppy seeds

It's been a while since my last post and this is an occasion to wish a happy new year, I hope it isn't too late for that (we're still in January, does that work?)..

Baby is growing and kicking and I feel tired most of the time. I really feel for those women who still have to work while pregnants and getting heavy(ier).. I should consider myself lucky at this moment.



I had this idea of sharing with you some German recipes during the festivities but because I'm trying to control my sugar intake at this stage of pregnancy, I decided not to bake all these cookies and indulge on them just to regret it afterwards..




I must say that most of the sweet bakes I have seen around and also found in Alsace and are usually called "Bredele": spritzs, cinnamon stars, spekulatius, lebkuchen, kipferl.. All these cookies come in different varieties as well..So you bet, if you are into baking, this is the place to be during Christmas time. You also get to enjoy the Christmas markets, enchating places for children and grown ups..

This year, I didn't get to enjoy the Stollen (pronounced: Sh-tollen) as much as I would have liked but I have plans to go crazy after giving birth and I'll have my revenge in term of baking and cheese eating (especially those cheeses I'm not allowed to eat these days)..




Back to the recipe of the day, it's one of those savoury cookies/shortbreads we make back home (the poppy seeds in not common in Morocco where they'll be finished with cheese, sesame seeds or crushed almonds). The basic dough remains the same while we get to add more herbs and aromatics, use different cheeses. Finally we can cut and shape them in any way we want as long as they remain small (I haven't seen those savoury cookies bigger than 3 cm).


The dough is freezer-friendly, however, the cookies do not last long as they get softer because of the soft cheese content. So enjoy them within the first 2 days of baking.

Ingredients
For more than 30 pieces
Prep: 20 min- Baking: 15 min


  • 250g of flour
  • 100g of butter, soft
  • 1 tbps of olive oil
  • About 80 g of spreadable salty cheese (I used 3 kirri squares)
  • 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tsp of chili powder 
  • 1/2 tsp of baking powder  (edited on the 13th jan 2013)
  • 1/2 cube of Knorr (or any other brand), scrambled
  • 3 heaped tbsp of grated cheese such as Edam or cheddar

Egg wash
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp of water

Finishing touch
  • Poppy seeds or grated cheese, herbs, chili, sesame, sea salt...

Preparation


Mix the soft butter with kirri squares or la vache qui rit or any spreadable salty cheese. Add the other ingredients except the flour.
 
Fold in the flour and baking powder and combine until you get a soft dough.


Place in the freezer for 15 minutes. Roll out the dough thin on a sheet of parchment paper lightly floured.
 


Egg wash  and sprinkle with poppy seeds (or grated cheese, herbs, chili, sesame..) then cut into small shapes.
 

Place on a baking tray covered with bakig sheets and bake in a preheated oven at 180 ° C for about 12 min or until they get a nice golden colour.
 

Cool on a wire rack before serving. Store in a metalic box.

For another idea of savoury shortbread, please check crowd-pleaser recipe.



4 comments:

  1. ciao nada, how r your doing?! Your cookies make my happy!! And I m sure they must be delicious at the same time!
    German is one the place i d like to see at christmas time for all the reasons you talked above. By the way, when is your baby due?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao Serena..

    I'm sure you will enjoy the Chritmas markets over here althought some seem to be better than others because of the variety of goods solds..

    Baby is due mid march, almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nada,
    Best wishes for you too and good luck on your pregnancy!
    Well delicious cheese-cookies, and the Alsace is almost Germany...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Hello Eric! I hope you are doing great..

    Indeed, Alsace is almost Germany..

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...