Friday, 15 June 2012

Strawberry-Rhubarb-Apple-Custard pie


Sun is back, finally! I’m still mesmerized by the beauty of Neustadt a/w (Neustadt an der Weinstraße where the “ß” is read like an “ss”).  It’s unbelievable how the soil is fertile over here so my eyes do not get bored…

I have a few recipes waiting to be posted. So let’s start by this wonderful rhubarb, strawberry and apple tart adapted from Chef John (foodwishes). The difference between this tart and the other one I posted here is the custard which covers the fruits before baking. Oh boy! As he mentioned it: Its one of these pies worth brawling over (please excuse me for this). Anyway, you get the point.




I’m not found of rhubarb, and as you know by now, I didn’t grow up eating it and I wouldn’t especially order it if I had to choose, but its combination with strawberries gives it a huge upgrade. Now I added apples to it and it has become a sort of VIP upgrade (these words remind me a lot of my over 10 years in the Hospitality business, namely Hotels).

I made my own lemon-scented shortcrust dough; I always have it in the freezer. The lemon twist does not change much to the recipe but I just like my dough that way. Sometimes, I add 1 heaped tablespoon of almond meal as well; it secures a nice crusty bite.




Ingredients
For a 9 inch pan
Prep: 15 min – Baking: 50 min
  • Pie dough (I used 2/3 of this shortcrust dough recipe)
For the filling
  • 3 cups sliced rhubarb ( I used 1 ½ cup)
  • 1 cup quartered strawberries ( I used 2 cups)
  • 1 apple, peeled, cored and cubed
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 3 tbsp all-purpose flour (I used 4 tbsp of cornstarch, because I used more strawberries)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar (I used 1 ¼ cup)
  • A pinch of salt
  • A pinch of fresh nutmeg
  • 1 tbsp butter for "dotting" 
For glazing
  • 2 tbsp of strawberry or raspberry jam with ½ tsp water, warmed

Preparation

Although this strawberry-rhubarb-apple-custard pie is dead easy, in case you are a level 0 type of a person when it comes to baking, just follow the video over here. If you are not fan of Chef John already, I bet you will become one soon.

So, preheat the oven at 180 C.

Trim off both end of the rhubarb, slice it. Wash the strawberries, take out the green hats, quarter them. Add the cubed apple to the fruits and mix with 1/2 of the sugar. You may either keep aside for 20 min like I did or just go ahead and make the custard without the 20 min waiting time like Chef John did.



Transfer the fruits into the pie shell. 



Make the custard 

Just beat all the ingredients together thoroughly with a hand whisk but do not bring in a lot of air bubbles like I did. Since I have left the fruits coated with sugar for about 20 min, I have extracted some juice. I added it to the custard. 

Bringing it together and baking

Drizzle the custard over the fruits and make sure they're coated nicely. Do not overflow it so you don't have to deal with a mess later.

Shake the pan so the custard sinks to bottom and the fruits become somewhat horizontally even. This steps also allows you to get rid of some air bubbles.



Break off little dots of butter and sprinkle them over the top.

Bake for about 50 min or until the center is almost set and not loose and the pie crust is golden. 

Ugly photo of my pie baking and puffing like a souffle!

Let the pie set out of the oven for about 15 min and then glaze it to give it that healthy shine and also to protect the fruits from "oxidation".

We kept this strawberry-rhubarb-apple-custard pie for 2 days in the fridge. I served it with a nice dollup of thick natural yoghurt, it tasted great.  But you may as well use whipped cream or ice cream.




I think I'm in love with this pie!




6 comments:

  1. I'm not fond of rhubarb either, but I don't mind a rhubarb pie once in a while and this one looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen, I had 2 slices of this pie..The rhubarb got burried and wasn't overpowering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Spice up the curry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I couldn't agree more... rhubarb is definitely a "special" taste... not everyone will like it, but with strawberries it's just amazing and I always find if you have custard as well, as you do here, then it does a perfect job at making any harsh sharp flavours very balanced and mild. It's a great pie to give to someone as an introduction to rhubarb I think - plus it looks really deep and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charles, I think you are right. That custard, along with strawberries and amazingly the apple as well made a perfect job balancing the rhubarb's sharpness.

    I even had 2 slices...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...