My husband is not a fan of chicken but he would eat it if it's hidden under a pile of other things. This is why those chicken drum sticks ended up being deboned and buried under the veggies of this Quesadilla. I find this type of food a brilliant way to used leftovers, it's done quickly and it fixes your hunger. Besides, it's totally up to you how you want to fill it.
The other good thing about this meal is that you can pull it in no time..You may want to serve it with guacamole, picco de gallo or anything classic but I just wanted to keep it simple and quick...
Serves 1 to 2
Prep: 5 min- cooking: 7 min
- 2 whole tortillas, any type you have
- 2 tbsps of soft butter
- ½ cup of shredded chicken meat ( Ideally a chicken rubbed with Cajun spices and lime juice then roasted or grilled)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 50 to 100 g shredded cheese (Edam, cheddar, Kshkaval…)
- 1 tablespoons spicy barbecue sauce
- Coriander/cilantro leaves
- 1 pickled jalapenos, chopped
- ½ spring onion, chopped
- A few leaves of lettuce
- ½ a small red/yellow sweet bell pepper, chopped or julienned
- A tbsp of cream cheese or crème fraiche
|One serving for me..Maybe I should have filled the quesadilla all the way to the edges..|
Preheat the oven at 220 C. butter all sides of the tortillas and lay down the 1st one on an aluminium sheet.
To assemble, sprinkle ½ of the grated cheese. Arrange the lettuce, shredded chicken. If desired, add the tomatoes and the jalapeno.
Add the coriander leaves, the chopped spring onion, the chopped bell pepper.
|Making the Quesadilla|
Add a few drops of bbq sauce, sprinkle with the remaining of cheese. Add a few drops of crème fraiche or a bit of cream cheese. Cover with the second tortilla on top
Cover the quesadillas with the aluminium foil so it creates a steam which will help the flavours and the cheese to mix and melt. Bake for about 5 min. open the aluminium foil and let the quesadillas take some colours and have a nice crust. You may use a large pan and cook it over the stove, it's ok as well.
Cut each quesadilla into six wedges. Serve with a salad or the standard serving condiments for quesadillas.