Wednesday, 4 January 2012

A seriously good apple and raspberry pie, plus other fruity pies


While in Wales with my mother-in-law, I've noticed that she uses plain stuff without bothering to add a long lost of ingredients to her cooking or baking goods.

When she made the apple pie, I was thinking " this would be amazing with a dash of cinnamon". but the British apples taste so good that you can just enjoy them as is. Anyway, that pie was just wonderful, especially that instead of using sugar she used a healthy sort of sweetener, which made me food good about eating a lot of it.

Stewed apple, ready for the pie

Again, when she made the blueberry pie, again, my mind went thinking " this would be amazing with a dash of lemon zest!", but again, it was just fine!

Frozen blueberries, a lot of them
Blueberry pie, with blueberries at the bottom and puff pastry at the top, that's it!
Now that I'm back home, I get to play with the food again. Here is why you see down under an apple pie with...raspberry. A sprinkle of lemon zest to bring on the flavor.

I wouldn't say that apples and raspberries work well together (Well, now that I've said it), I would just tell you the truth about me having eaten half of the stewed apples meant to be for the pie, so I had to fill in the gaps, hence the fresh raspberries.

So, this tart can be on the healthy side, or not! I have replaced sugar with Stevia and I have covered the fruits with a tin layer of shortcrust dough. I'm not serving it with cream. It's just as is (I already see my husband making faces because of that).

Apple and raspberry pie

Ingredients
for 1 person (or 2)
Prep 30 min - baking: 25 -30 min

For the filling
  • 3 apples or 2 apples and a handful of fresh or frozen raspberries
  • 1 heaped tbsp of stevia (or any sugar of your choice)
  • Sprinkle of lemon zest
  • 1 tbsp of corn flour such as Maizena
if you are going to use apples only, you might add 1 cinnamon stick while cooking them

My classic shortcrust dough (make ahead)
  • 250 g of flour
  • 125 g of butter in cubes
  • 1 generous pinch of salt
  • 1 tbsp of sugar
  • 1 egg yolk diluted in 2 tbsp of cold milk
For glazing
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tbsp of milk

Preparation

Making the dough

Mix the flour, salt and sugar. Rub the mixture with butter. Add the egg yolk, slightly beaten and diluted with the milk. Bring the dough together without overworking it. Clingfilm it and place it in the refrigerator for 30 min or so.

Making the filling

Peel and cut the apples, sweeten them. Stew them in about 1/2 cup of water, covered, until they cook through, which should take about 15 min. Use the cinnamon stick at the cooking stage if you intend to use it. Use a sieve and Let cool.

If you are going to use the normal white sugar, let the apples give you their juice ( the word in french would be "dégorger") by covering them with sugar for 1 hour or so. You might also need a tsp of lemon juice so they don't change their color.

Making the pie

Preheat the oven, 180 degrees C.

Mix the corn flour with the apples and place all in the pie mold. Scatter in the raspberries if you choose the apple-raspberry option. Finish by adding the lemon zest. Cover the fruits with a tin layer of cold shortcrust dough.

Glaze the pie with a mixture of the egg yolk and the milk. Bake for 25 to 30 min until the pie looks pretty with a nice golden color.

That spoon is for me, the rest for my other half! because I'm trying to be good this year


2 comments:

  1. Can't beat a good tart or pie! I'm always fearful of using berries - I have them so rarely that when I do get them in I'm afraid to do anything else except just eating them on their own... I should really experiment more with cooking them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can eat them in any possible way!!! I'm a berry-freak.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! So please do not hesitate to write a few words..

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...